2.22.2008

Firsts

It's all about documenting...saving all the information and pictures, memories if you please...all the firsts in a family. You know what I'm talking about~you remember that first glimpse of your newborn, counting all the fingers and toes. Checking to see whose mouth, nose and eyes this new little one has...Oh, I hope he doesn't have Uncle Bert's nose, it's so big, you know. You take pictures, hundreds all to help you remember that special first in your life.

Think of all the "firsts" one normally document (can you say scrap?) First tooth, first step, first words, first day of school. This year I got pictures of Emily's (dd#2) first date...they looked so cute but alas it was not to be...they are better friends than a couple. But I have the pictures for that very first date she ever had...along with her tried and true reason for not dating before "Mom, guys are so needy and I don't have time for that right now!"

Hopefully, someone back home is documenting some of Sophie's firsts for me...her first set of contacts..she looks so different w/o her glasses. Her first driver's license. Yeah, I know she's almost 18 but her sister's had so many wrecks between 16 and 18 that we made her wait. If I've trained my family right they took pictures.

Later this year we will have another first...our Katie is getting married. I'm sure it was just yesterday I was counting all her fingers and toes! There will be enough pictures and notes and documenting of this first in our life.

But the first I'm looking forward to happens after the wedding, in November. For the first time in our married life, in the lives of our daughters and future son-in-law...all six of us will be able to vote. I've already got the lo planned, one big picture of the 6 of us, arm in arm, standing tall and proud on a sea of red white and blue....I guess you can tell I've been anticipating this "first" for a long time...actually I've known about it longer than some of the other firsts.

Don't let your "firsts" pass by without documenting them...let those generations to come know what was important to you. Document the love you have for your family, your faith in God, your love of country. Share it with those yet to be born, those yet to have their own "firsts".

Oh, and when I get the picture from voting I'll post it in the gallery!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Great job Janet!!!

Deanna said...

That's wonderful, Janet!